Questions To Ask Roofing Contractors
A new roof is one of the greatest investments you’ll make, so you need to select the right residential roofing contractors. That means you’ll have to do some research but the big question is – where do you start? The best way to find the best roofing contractor is to ask questions. A good contractor will provide answers to any question you may ask – and be confident about sharing them.
7 Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor Before You Make a Hiring Decision
You already know how important it is to work with experienced residential roofers on your next roofing project, especially if it deals with roof repair or replacement. To find out whether a company is the right choice for you, you’ll want to ask these seven questions:
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Can you share references?
- What roofing materials do you provide?
- What is your change process?
- Do you offer storm damage repair?
- Will you remove my old roof or leave it on?
- What additional roofing services do you offer?
Here’s a closer look at each – and the types of answers you can expect from a good contractor.
Roofing Contractor Question Number1: Are You Licensed and Insured?
It’s important that you work with a roofer that has an updated roofing license and all the necessary insurance. Liability insurance, in particular, is especially important. It protects you from damage caused by roofers during the project.
At innprecconroofing, we always carry an updated license and have all the necessary insurance to give you the peace of mind you need.
Roofing Contractor Question Number2: May I See Homeowner References?
Ask your prospective roofer if you can see references from previous clients. This allows you to better evaluate a contractor’s workmanship through feedbacks and testimonials. You can ask for their work samples too.
It’s also a good idea to carry out an online research to find out what others are saying about a contractor you’re planning to hire. People aren’t shy about leaving honest feedbacks with genuine experiences, so search a company’s name to see what comes up.
Roofing Contractor Question Number 3: What Roofing Materials Do You Offer?
Make sure to ask your prospective roofers what roofing systems they have to offer. Asking this is a simple way to get a good idea what your roofing options are, and you’ll also be able to discuss the more technical matters, such as how the material or system in question will perform.
Roofing Contractor Question Number4: What Is Your Change Process?
Certain circumstances call for changes while the project is going on. Sometimes roofers discover hidden roofing issues while they’re replacing an existing roof, such as wood rot. In other cases, the homeowner changes his or her mind after seeing the materials. The homeowner needs to sign off on changes that will delay the project’s completion and can change the project’s costs – that’s standard across the industry.
To protect yourself, you’ll want to find out what the process is if any changes become necessary during the project. Ask the contractor what happens if roofers find damage, if the materials didn’t meet your expectations or what will happen if you change your mind. That way, you’re prepared for the unforeseen circumstances ahead.
Roofing Contractor Question Number 5: Do You Offer Storm Damage Repair?
Make sure to ask if your prospective roofer offers storm damage repair. Inclement weather will pop up at the most inconvenient times, so it pays to know if your prospective roofer can offer emergency services.
There are many ways that storms can damage your roof, but the most common are:
- Wind damage. Fast-moving, strong winds can lift up shingles – even when they’re nailed down perfectly. Tiles and shingles can actually come right off your roof during bad storms. If that happens, rain and debris can make its way into the underlayment and other materials beneath the parts of your roof you can normally see from the street.
- Debris damage. Flying debris can damage your roof significantly during a storm. Although asphalt shingles can typically stand up to minor impacts from debris, other types of materials can dent or crack, and you’ll need a professional to fix them.
- Water damage. Water damage from a storm can be catastrophic – and the earlier you resolve the leak issue, the better. In many cases, an expert roofing contractor can make repairs that prevent post-leak damage quickly, so you’ll need to ensure the contractor you work with can come back out in an emergency.
Roofing Contractor Question Number6: Will You Remove the Old Roof or Leave it on?
Some homeowners prefer to have their new roofs installed over the old one to save on the tear-off and disposal costs. The problem with this installation method, however, is that if the roof structure has hidden issues, they will not be addressed and could result in premature failure. Whatever you save with this process could get spent on repairs. To reap the full benefits of a new roof, we always recommend a complete roof removal.
Roofing Contractor Question Number7: What Additional Roofing Services Do You Offer?
Hiring a roofer who provides emergency roof repairs and other services can be extremely beneficial if your home sustains damage from a passing storm. If you don’t know how to handle insurance claims, insurance restoration roofers like innprecconroofing can work with your insurance provider to ensure all the claim requirements are met.
Do You Need to Talk to a Roofing Contractor?
If you are in need of a roofing contractor in Houston TX, innprecconroofing can help you make the right decision for your family, your home and your budget. Call our office today to talk to our representative today!