Structural Engineering is a sub-branch of civil engineering, and very much similar in the major concerns. This area of engineering mainly talks about designing and building up a construction. The core structure is prepared by providing all the physical aspects of the building.
Eiffel Tower is the most common example mentioned almost everywhere for the epitome of structural engineering.
Who is a Structural Engineer?
The structural engineer works hand-in-hand with a civil engineer and an architect along with few other experts of the concerned field. It is teamwork when a building, a flyover, or anything else is constructed. You can always take consultation from structural engineering companies London for reliable advice over constructions and renovations. The hard work of the whole team that possesses both skills and knowledge results in a quality structure.
Qualities of a fine Structural Engineer?
Following are some crucial aspects of judging or becoming a worthy structural engineer:
- Most important is the aptitude for working as a successful structural engineer. The appropriate aptitude brings out the best of the innovations from within. All engineers and architects must own that.
- One must have a thorough knowledge of their discipline as engineers. Once all the knowledge is gathered, it must be practised and put to use. Theoretical knowledge seems very different when used practically. Also, having only knowledge would not help unless there is a good hands-on experience of the same.
- Physics and Mathematics are the core discipline subjects to get a stronghold over it.
- Gaining knowledge regarding structure and construction software is essential with the growing time. There are numerous software available in the market that offers high-end structural assistance.
- Updating knowledge about all the good and bad raw materials available in the industry market. This helps in choosing the right thing for the right structure.
- Possessing good knowledge about the density, hardness, corrosion, malleability, weight etc. of the kinds of materials used for construction.
- Being aware of all the structural engineering companies London, so as to what do they offer, how do they work etc.
What are the core disciplines under Structural Engineering?
To make sure the construction lasts long following disciplines are always kept in mind regarding the type of construction:-
- Earthquake Engineering – The construction is built to be earthquake resistant.
- Roof Engineering – The roof of a building is supposed to stand strong on the walls alone. Hence, immense knowledge of the materials and the shape of the roof is important.
- Wind and Fire Engineering – This discipline helps the construction to stand strong while fighting against the storm, fire disaster and other calamities.
A good structural engineer would possess some qualities that they might have developed with time and practice, the rest of the calibre shows up according to the aptitude of the engineer. It is a work of high responsibility. A structure that is being constructed must endure as per its use and requirement thus someone with enough knowledge and ample experience would do the job best.